I've always packed their lunches, made sure their backpacks are by the front door, they have jackets, and made sure they brought what they needed to school. This year I'm feeling they need to be a bit more responsible for themselves. They are 7 and 9...LOL! My 9 yr old wants a phone really bad but if I don't make sure he has his lunch box/backpack he will leave it behind and call me an hour later asking for me to bring it (BTW I don't-unless it is an emergency). Teaching them to be responsible plus organized, let's see how that goes.
Here is MY PLAN:
- I'm going to make CHECKLISTS for before and after school duties. I have a door in our kitchen that I plan to hang up everything on it- ONE PLACE! What a concept! I will remind them to check it daily.
- Along with the checklist there will be a SCHEDULE. Morning, After-School, Before Bed. Mainly something to keep me on schedule and prepared! Pack lunches and pick clothes the night before will be on there of course.
- Set up a FAMILY CALENDAR. Each of us will have our own color (guess what my color will be..LOL) and we will write down stuff like school events, dad's big airbrush jobs, mom's meetings and other FAMILY stuff. My son just started football so of course that will be going on there too! This will help with time conflicts too.
- We will have a SCHOOL BINDER that I can put all stuff related to school in so we are not digging around for it the day it is due.
- I want one place to hold all homework items (crayons, pens, pencils, papers) and NOT in their room. I'm going to assign each kid a shelf in the cupboard in the kitchen. We do homework at the kitchen table and then everything is easy to get. I don't want them to share anything because my kids tend to FIGHT over who has what so each will have their own supplies.
- I made YEAR BOXES out of Costco cereal boxes for each kid. They will be able to put in whatever they want to keep from school, bday cards, invites, pictures, and special papers. At the end of the year we go through it and pick out what really needs to be saved and we put the box up for them look thru later in life. This will be the 3rd year doing this.